The bond order in NO is 2.5 while that in NO+ is 3. Which of the following statements is true for these two species?
- Bond length is unpredictable
- Bond length in NO+ is equal to that in NO
- Bond length in NO+ is greater than in NO
- Bond length in NO is greater than in NO+
A square planar complex is formed by hybridisation of which atomic orbitals?
- s, px, py, pz
- s, px, py, pz, d
- d, s, px, py
- s, px, py, pz, d, d
Which of the following sets of quantum numbers is correct for an electron in 4f orbital?
- n = 4, l = 4, m = –4, s =-1/2
- n = 4, l = 3, m = +4, s =+1/2
- n = 3, l = 2, m = –2, s =+1/2
- n = 4, l = 3, m = +1, s =+1/2
Which of the following statements in relation to the hydrogen atom is correct?
- 3s orbital is lower in energy than 3p orbital
- 3s, 3p and 3d orbitals all have the same energy
- 3s and 3p orbitals are of lower energy than 3d orbital
- 3p orbital is lower in energy than 3d orbital
If we consider that 1/6, in place of 1/12, mass of carbon atom is taken to be the relative atomic mass unit, the mass of one mole of a substance will
- decrease twice
- remain unchanged
- increase two fold
- be a function of the molecular mass of the substance
With increase of temperature, which of these changes?
- mole fraction
- weight fraction of solute
In the reaction,
2Al (s) + 6HCl (aq) → 2Al3+ (aq) + 6Cl– (aq) + 3H2 (g)
- 6 L HCl (aq) is consumed for every 3 L H2(g) produced
- 11.2 L H2(g) at STP is produced for every mole HCl (aq) consumed
- 33.6 L H2(g) is produced regardless of temperature and pressure for every mole Al that reacts
- 67.2 L H2(g) at STP is produced for every mole Al that reacts
The molecular formula of a commercial resin used for exchanging ions in water softening is C8H7SO3Na (Mol. Wt. 206). What would be the maximum uptake of Ca2+ ions by the resin when expressed in mole per gram resin?
Which of the following is the energy of a possible excited state of hydrogen?
- - 6.8 eV
- - 3.4 eV
- + 6.8 eV
- + 13.6 eV
The ionic radii (in Å) of N3–, O2– and F– are respectively
- 1.36, 1.71 and 1.40
- 1.71, 1.40 and 1.36
- 1.71, 1.36 and 1.40
- 1.36, 1.40 and 1.71
Which of the following compounds is not an antacid?
- Aluminium hydroxide
In the context of the Hall-Heroult process for the extraction of Al, which of the following statements is false?
- Al2O3 is mixed with CaF2 which lowers the melting point of the mixture and brings conductivity
- Al3+ is reduced at the cathode to form Al
- Na3AlF6 serves as the electrolyte
- CO and CO2 are produced in this process
Which polymer is used in the manufacture of paints and lacquers?
- Poly vinyl chloride
In a compound C, H and N atoms are present in 9:1:3.5 by weight. Molecular weight of compound is 108. Molecular formula of compound is
The de Broglie wavelength of a tennis ball of mass 60 g moving with a velocity of 10 metres per second is approximately (Planck's constant, h = 6.63 × 10–34 Js)
- 10–16 metres
- 10–31 metres
- 10–33 metres
- 10–25 metres
Which one of the following compounds has the smallest bond angle in its molecule?
For an ideal gas, number of moles per litre in terms of its pressure P, gas constant R and temperature T is
The enthalpy change for a reaction does not depend upon the
- use of different reactants for the same product.
- nature of intermediate reaction steps.
- physical states of reactants and products.
- difference in initial or final temperatures of involved substances.
Butene-1 may be converted to butane by reaction with
On mixing a certain alkane with chlorine and irradiating it with ultraviolet light, it forms only one monochloroalkane. This alkane could be
2-Methylbutane on reacting with bromine in the presence of sunlight gives mainly
The reaction of toluene with Cl2 in presence of FeCl3 gives predominantly
- benzoyl chloride
- benzyl chloride
- o- and p-chlorotoluene
Which of the following reactions will yield 2, 2-dibromopropane?
- C2H2 + 2HBr →
- CH3CHCH2 + 2HBr →
- CH3CHCHBr + HBr →
- CH3CCH + 2HBr →
The hydrocarbon which can react with sodium in liquid ammonia is
One mole of a symmetrical alkene on ozonolysis gives two moles of an aldehyde having a molecular mass of 44 u. The alkene is
Ozonolysis of an organic compound gives formaldehyde as one of the products. This confirms the presence of
- an acetylenic triple bond
- a vinyl group
- two ethylenic double bonds
- an isopropyl group
Alkyl halides react with dialkyl copper reagents to give
- alkenyl halides
- alkyl copper halides
During dehydration of alcohols to alkenes by heating with concentrated H2SO4 the initiation step is
- protonation of alcohol molecule
- formation of an ester
- formation of carbocation
- elimination of water