Thermal capacity of a body depends on the
- mass of the body only
- mass and shape of the body only
- density of the body
- mass, shape and temperature of the body
Which of the following statements about electromagnetic waves, sound waves and water waves is/are correct?
- The exhibit reflection.
- They carry energy.
- They exert pressure.
- They can travel in vacuum.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below
- 1, 2 and 3
- 2 and 4
- 1 and 3
- Only 1
Light year is a unit for measurement of
- age of universe
- very large distance
- very small time intervals
- very high temperature
Which one of the following metals is used in the filaments of photo-electric cells that convert light energy into electric energy?
Which one of the following metals is alloyed with sodium to transfer heat in a nuclear reactor?
Which one of the following alkali metals has lowest melting point?
Two convex lenses with power 2 dioptre are kept in contact with each other. The focal length of the combined lens system is
- 0.10 m
- 2 m
- 4 m
- 0.25 m
Which one of the following statements about magnetic field lines is not correct?
- They can emanate from a point
- They do not cross each other
- Field lines between two poles cannot be precisely straight lines at the ends
- There are no filed lines within a bar magnet
Which one of the following statements about the refractive index of a material medium with respect to air is correct?
- It can be either positive or negative.
- It can have zero value.
- It is unity for all materials.
- It is always greater than one.
Which one of the following is an example of the force of gravity of the earth acting on a vibrating pendulum bob?
- Applied force
- Frictional force
- Restoring force
- Virtual force
Which of the following statements about specific heat of a body is/are correct?
- It depends upon mass and shape of the body
- It is independent of mass and shape of the body
- It depends only upon the temperature of the body
Select the correct answer using the codes given below
- Only 1
- 2 and 3
- 1 and 3
- Only 2
If by an unknown accident the acid secreting cells of the stomach wall of an individual are damaged. Digestion of which one of the following biomolecule will be affected to a greater extent?
- Protein only
- Carbohydrate only
- Protein and Carbohydrate
Which one of the following types of tissues will have contractile proteins?
- Nervous tissue
- Muscle tissue
- Bone tissue
- Blood tissue
Who among the following first discovered cell?
- Robert Brown
- Robert Hooke
- Rudolf Virchow
Which one of the following elements is needed in the human body to transfer electrical signals by nerve cells?
The poisonous nature of carbon monoxide (CO) is due to its
- insolubility in water
- ability to form a complex with haemoglobin
- ability to reduce some metal oxides
- property of having one sigma bond
Which one of the following is the purest form of carbon?
- Carbon black
Which one of the following properties is not true for graphite?
- Hybridization of each carbon atom is sp3
- Hybridization of each carbon atom is sp2
- Electrons are delocalized over the whole sheet of atoms
- Each layer is composed of hexagonal rings
How is carbon black obtained?
- By heating wood at high temperature in a absence of air
- By heating coal at high temperature in absence of air
- By burning hydrocarbons in a limited supply of air
- By heating coal at high temperature in presence of air
Which one of the following is the number of water molecules that share with two formula unit CaSO4 in Plaster of Paris?
Which one of the following devices is sued to measure atmospheric pressure?
A ball balanced on a vertical rod is an example of
- stable equilibrium
- unstable equilibrium
- neutral equilibrium
- perfect equilibrium
Which one of the following statements about meristematic tissues in plants is correct?
- These are dead tissues and form wood
- They provide flexibility to plant due to their thickened walls
- These are present in the bark of a tree only
- Growth occurs in plants due to division of cells of these tissues
Which one of the following is the correct sequence of levels of hierarchy of classification of organisms from higher to lower?
- Phylum – Class – Order – Family – Genus
- Phylum – Class – Family – Order – Genus
- Family – Order – Class – Species – Genus
- Class – Family – Order – Species – Genus
Which one of the following statements about classification of plants is correct?
- Thallophytes have well differentiated body design
- Funaria is a fungus
- All Pteridophytes are Phanerogams
- Vascular system is not found among Bryophytes
Which one of the following parts of body does not take part in the process of breathing?
- Bowman’s capsule
Which one of the following organelle is not found in prokaryotic cells?
- Cell wall
- Plasma membrane
AIDS is caused by a virus whose genetic material is
- single stranded circular DNA
- double stranded DNA
- single stranded RNA
- double stranded RNA
Which one of the following is the chemical formula of Washing Soda?
Brine is an aqueous solution of
Which one of the following gives the highest amount of hydrogen ions (H+)?
- Sodium hydroxide solution
- Milk of magnesia
- Lemon juice
- Gastric juice
Which of the following properties is true for a tooth paste?
- It is acidic.
- It is neutral.
- It is basic.
- It is made up of calcium phosphate, the material of tooth enamel.
The accidental touch of Nettle leaves creates a burning sensation, which is due to inject of
- Hydrochloric acid
- Methanoic acid
- Citric acid
- Sulphuric acid
Which one of the following frequency range is sensitive to human ears?
- 0 - 200 Hz
- 20 - 20000 Hz
- 200 - 20000 Hz
- 2,000 - 20000 Hz
Which one of the following is the natural phenomenon based on which a simple periscope works?
- Reflection of light
- Refraction of light
- Dispersion of light
- Total internal reflection of light
Which one of the following devices is non-ohmic?
- Conducting copper coil
- Electric heating coil
- Semi conductor diode
Whether an object will float or sink in a liquid, depends on
- mass of the object only
- mass of the object and density of liquid only
- difference in the densities of the object and liquid
- mass and shape of the object only
Which one of the following statements about gravitational force is not correct?
- It is experienced by all bodies in the universe
- It is a dominant force between celestial bodies
- It is a negligible force for atoms
- It is same for all pairs of bodies in our universe
Which one of the following is the value of 1 kWh of energy converted into joules?
- 1.8 × 106 J
- 3.6 × 106 J
- 6.0 × 106 J
- 7.2 × 106 J
Which one of the following has maximum inertia?
- An atom
- A molecule
- A one-rupee coin
- A cricket ball
What is the net force experienced by a bar magnet placed in a uniform magnetic field?
- Depends upon length of the magnet
- Never zero
- Depends upon temperature
An object is moving, with uniform acceleration a. Its initial velocity is u and after time t its velocity is v. The equation of its motion is v = u + at. The velocity (along y-axis) time (along x-axis) graph shall be a straight line
- passing through origin
- with x-intercept u
- with y-intercept u
- with slope u
If an object moves with constant velocity then which one of the following statements is not correct?
- Its motion is along a straight line
- Its speed changes with time
- Its acceleration is zero
- Its displacement increases linearly with time
If T is the time period of an oscillating pendulum, which one the following statements is not correct?
- The motion repeats after time T only once
- T is the least time after which motion repeats itself
- The motion repeats itself after nT, where n is a positive integer
- T remains the same only for small angular displacements
Which of the following leaf modifications occur(s) in the desert areas to inhibit water loss?
- Hard and waxy leaves
- Tiny leaves
- Thorns instead of leaves
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- 2 and 3 only
- 2 only
- 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3
Which one of the following is an example of chemical change?
- Burning of paper
- Magnetization of soft iron
- dissolution of cane sugar in water
- Preparation of ice cubes from water
The SI unit of mechanical power is:
A piece of ice, 100 g in mass is kept at 0°C. The amount of heat it requires to melt at 0°C is (take latent heat of melting of ice to be 333.6 J/g):
- 750.6 J
- 83.4 J
- 33360 J
- 3.336 J
A myopic person has a power of -1.25 Dioptre. What is the focal length and nature of his lens?
- 50 cm and convex lens
- 80 cm and convex lens
- 50 cm and concave lens
- 80 cm and concave lens
A person rings a metallic bell near a strong concrete wall. He hears the echo after 0.3 s. If the sound moves with a speed of 340 m/s, how far is the wall from him?
- 102 m
- 11 m
- 51 m
- 30 m